Reading and resources for the kick-off session of Strategic Skills for Emerging Leaders held on 18 August 2020.
Facilitated discussion: introductions and getting to know each other; setting expectations – what we want from this program, how it works; understanding our individual and group learning preferences
Charles Jennings describes four ways that adults learn.
1. Challenging experiences:
- learning by doing the work
- most of the learning is under the waterline
- learning in the context
- work that stretches
2. Opportunities to practice:
- practice feeds high performance
3. Creative conversations:
- our world is [made of] others
- conversation is the lubrication of learning and development
4. Time for reflection
- experience plus reflection equals learning that lasts
- reflect in the workflow, with others, AND reflect individually, away from work
More info: see the complete list of resources for Strategic Skills for Emerging Leaders in 2020.